Subject: Re: decimating polygons...
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:16:12 -0800

In a message dated 96-02-22 23:54:36 EST, you write:

>> adjacent polygons have parallel normals ?  Maybe there is some other way
to
>> do this that I haven't thought of.  I welcome your thoughts on this....   
>> 
>> p.s.  I have a CAD model of approximately 130k triangles and want to
>> decimate this down to as few as possible.  Every square patch is broken
>into
>> at least 2 adjacent triangles and cylinder caps are usually at least 12
>> polygons.
>
>I believe if you use LightWave Modeler's MERGE function that will make 
>all polys adjacent with parallel normals 1 poly.
>
>Ralph Ocampo
>
>

   Ahh, but if they do not share the same end points this will not work. What
he needs is a program that checks for coliear polygons, splits them, and
deletes one of the colinear sections. We have such a program, but I'm afraid
its propriatary, and I can't give it away :(..